Saturday, June 9, 2012

Great Art for Under $10

You can have lots of great art around your home, even if you're on a tight budget, like me!

Dave spotted some great pieces while we were shopping at Artist & Craftsmen the other day (yeah, he's good like that), and I thought I would pass along our trick to having lots of great art in the house on the cheap!

Jessie Wilcox Smith, "Don't be Scared"

The not-so-secret secret? CARDS! Sometimes even the smallest prints and original art can come with a rather hefty price tag, but I think everyone can and should be collectors of art. Using cards as prints is a great way to have little pops of color and beauty around your home, without shelling out a ton of cash. I do think, though, that when you come across a print or original piece of artwork that you just love, you gotta go for it. Art is one of those things that when you have a reaction to it, and you really, really, really LOVE it, you should really, really, really HAVE it! Especially because you don't know if you'll be able to find it again, so grab it when you love it.

Anyway, I digress.

We like to keep our eyes peeled for quality cards to frame and hang or place around our home. I also keep nice cards that people have sent me. Just cut it down the fold so you're left with the cover of the card. Mat that puppy, and pop it in a cute or simple frame! No one can tell it's just a regular old greeting card, and you get to enjoy the art for a great steal. This is a fun way to spruce up the spare room before guests arrive, or change out the art in any room as often as you like to fit your design!


Here are a couple that we just got that prompted this post, each one ended up costing around $10.

I just adore the work of Jessie Wilcox Smith, don't you? This one is so sweet and reminds me of the way I snuggle Riley, sometimes–when she lets me! 

So this was a 5"x7" blank card that cost, I think, $4.50. The 8"x10" frame is a MainStays frame from Walmart, which you can get most anywhere for around $2. I had leftover matte board, which I cut myself, but you can usually find pre-cut matte at places like Michales for a few dollars (sometimes frames will come with a matte already and that's even less work you for you. Score!).

This Alice in Wonderland piece, below, one is the other we just put together, and really adds a lot to this little plant table and is so nice to have for inspiration. Same costs.


This illustration is from the old Alice in Wonderland. Got to love that line work and the colors just can't be beat.
Love it, my man has a good eye!

And here is a 4"x6" letterpress card that my sister gave me several years ago for my birthday. I really loved it and wanted to keep it, so I put it in a plastic frame that I got on sale (the back is broken for hanging, but it still works just fine as a tabletop frame!) and I really like the combination. 




So if you're like me and want to be surrounded by beautiful art all the time, this is a great way to have champagne taste on a beer budget! Pick up affordable frames as you see them, so that when you receive a beautiful card from a friend, or find a greeting card of your favorite painter, you can whip up some art in under 10 minutes. Enjoy!

No comments: